5.24.2010

Unihemispheric Sleep

Define: Unihemispheric Sleep

Uni = numero uno

hemispheric = a half of a sphere (like that of the brain)


Okay, prepare yourself. Lately I've been learning about this really cool thing called Unihemispheric Sleep. I heard about it on a radio show. I know, just keep reading.

Dolphins are mammals, right? Therefore they need to breath above water. And not only do they need to breath, but they are conscious breathers, meaning they need to tell themselves to take a breath every time they jump out of the water. Crazy, right? That's not even the best part. In spite of their habitat being a great body of water and the fact that they need to remind themselves to gasp for air, they sleep. In fact, they sleep a full 8 hours every day. How? you might ask. I did. And the answer--unihemispheric sleep.

Do you remember that day last weekend that I went to Pinkberry? Well, over said frozen yogurt I told my lovely friends all about this new discovery; however, I dare say, I don't believe they were much impressed. So, unlike them, you have the freedom to pass up this post...but if I've managed to pique your interest, please stay tuned.


Ducks often sleep in rows of four with the outer two birds keeping one eye open for watch. If you wait around long enough, you'll see those two end birds get up and make a 180 degree turn before hunkering down in their guard-like positions again.
This is because the side of their brain connected to that one eye is alert and on watch; however, the other side is sleeping! They rotate to give the other side of their brain a chance to sleep as well.

You can see from these wave patterns that dolphins' brains do the same thing! When they sleep, dolphins go into a state animal experts call "logging." It's where they float along the surface like a log. Because this takes some attention on the part of the animal, not to mention the attention required for breathing, the dolphins must stay awake even in this relaxed state--but not all of them needs to stay awake. They rest half their brain at a time.

Some believe we humans used to be capable of this as well, but one day discovered houses with locks that kept us safe--so we didn't need to worry about protecting ourselves with one eye open.
At this point, "experts" have observed Unihemispheric sleep in birds and aquatic mammals (like those discussed above)...and possibly some reptiles, they're not exactly sure.

But half a brain a whole a brain,
everyone needs sleep.


Here's what happens when we don't get enough:

But surprisingly, in spite of the fact that we ALL sleep, doctors don't understand the necessity or process of sleep very well. Yes, we know the stages, but beyond that--little to none. Dreams? Why are brain is more active while we're asleep then awake? Why rats die after only a few weeks without it? How come our entire body is dependent on it?
No answers.

Well, I hope that didn't put you to sleep.
Like I said, I think it's fascinating!
I just wish we had more answers.
But in the meantime, I think up more questions.



Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

Katy said...

Dude, it is literally possible to sleep with one eye open! Of course, these days I don't have nefarious roommates that I need to keep an eye on....