2.02.2009

He Was "Let Go"

Lonny would bring the newspapers to the newsroom every morning. At 7:30a.m. the door down the hall would open, and two seconds later his large ring of custodial keys would clip to his belt with a loud ‘click.’

“Good morning, Lonny.”

“Good morning. How are they treating you down here?”

“Oh, just great. How about you?”

“Fine.”

He carefully stacked each paper in a neat over-lapping line; just enough to see the title of each paper as they fanned across the desktop.

“Thanks for the papers, Lonny.”

“You’re welcome.”

Morning after morning, Lonny’s keys clicked like clockwork. However, the routine that began long before I started my employment at Brigham Young University ended two weeks ago.
Lonny was born mentally ill, yet in spite of physical and mental setbacks, he dutifully worked for Brigham Young Custodial in the Harris Fine Arts Center with more diligence and patience then I’ve yet to see demonstrated by a mere quarter of my spoiled generation.

Now the papers come irregularly. They are never placed across the desktop with dedication and precision. Lonny was “let go” because of “economic necessity.”

So, for those of you who refuse to lift a solitary polished fingernail; for those who allow your parents to pay; who think that it's more important to buy your organic milk than to donate money to the homeless; I hope that you can grow up, and remove the blinders that such selfishness creates. You carry a lot of responsibility for our current economic status, so how dare you say it's not your problem that people are going hungry! Why don't you tell Lonny that it's not your problem?!

The selfish demand for instant gratification got us into this economic mess. If you have no other reason, think of Lonny—a little Christ-like selflessness might get us out of the rut, and halt this rolling storm that leaves nothing but destruction in its path.

2 comments:

Creole Wisdom said...

I'm shocked and saddened that Lonny was let go. That's terrible. I remember him well, he was always smiling.

Now... not to play devil's advocate, but... coming from a person who's parents pay part of her tuition/living expenses- many who are given this "gift" see it as that... a gift to be thankful for. If people have a thankless attitude that is a problem with their character. I see nothing wrong with parents paying for their kids undergrad. A lot of families plan for it, a lot don't. Finances are sticky things that come into center stage during college. Just the entire breaking away-but not really thing.

Also, on organic food. I don't think when I (or most people who buy organic food) shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes are thinking about NOT donating to the homeless/poor. Most of the time, if you can buy organic milk you can donate a little bit more money than others to philanthropy.

That being said, I couldn't agree with you more regarding the current economic state we're in. People expect instant gratification, and they have been given that- and now the world pays. It's repulsive, and saddening. I think we can find a way to change, though, and I have hope always.

Anna said...

Thank you for the correction. I was referring to the attitude generally associated with these actions. Maybe I've just seen too many "bad" examples; I just failed to acknowledge the exception.

That was a poor generalization on my part—I was just upset about Lonny juxtaposed with the seemingly ever-present 'brat.'