10.28.2010

A World in Six Words

When asked to write a full story in six words, legend has it novelist Ernest Hemingway responded: "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Earlier this year, many contributed their own six word stories to a compilation entitled, It All Changed in an Instant.

Many famous names left their six word mark: Gloria Steinem ("Life is one big editorial meeting"), to author Frank McCourt ("The miserable childhood leads to royalties"), to actress Molly Ringwald ("Acting is not all I am").

Now, Hint Fiction shares stories of a slightly longer word count--entire lives wrapped up in twenty-five words or less.

j. j. steinfeld wrote:

"Before their wedding, Gino revealed he was adopted. Eugenia admitted she was adopted too.

"I was a twin, Gino added.

Eugenia said, So was I."

jenn alandy wrote:

"His wife calls while we are in the hotel room. 'Yeah, I'm enjoying my time without the kids,' he says. I stare at my feet."

marcus sakey wrote:

"He held her crepe-paper hand and summoned an autumn day, sepia and smoke, and dancing, and music that sounded nothing like the beeping of machines."

What's your story in twenty-five words or less?

2 comments:

Welcome! said...

hi anna! hi hi! i stumbled upon your sweet little blog and i couldn't help but hit the follow button! can't wait to follow your adventures in the future! xo - kate

Michelle Schraudner said...

Oh wow, I can't imagine writing my life in 25 words. Picking one defining part of me would be tricky. What a great idea though!