1.03.2010

What is Change?

As I begin this new year, naturally, I've thought a lot about my past--who I was, who I am now, and who I want to become. I learned a lot, and grew more than I could have anticipated. But today I learned another lesson, and made another step. In Elder Holland's speech Remember Lot's Wife, he teaches of not looking back to the past with a longing for what was or could have been.

"The future holds everything for us."

"Faith builds on the past, but never longs to stay there. Faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us; and that Christ truly is the High Priest of things to come."

"Keep your eyes on your dreams, however distant and far away. Live to see the miracles of repentance and forgiveness, of trust and divine love that will transform your life today and tomorrow and forever. That is a New Year's resolution I ask you to keep."

Today I learned not to doubt the Lord's ability to give us something better than the past. He forgets the past if we allow him to forgive. We should remember it--but only enough to build upon it, grow, learn, and change.

Changing behavior is good, but changing our driving motives through constant prayer is better.
Change must be conscious. Change is faith. Allowing others to change is charity.

No comments: