1.09.2011

Spilling the Beans (the low-down on Indiana)

I'm home from Indiana!

Went to bed at 2am, got up at 4am to catch my flight.

Luckily, I had this view out my plane window to keep me sane in spite of only 2 hours of sleep:






Now, down to what you really want to know.....how everything went.

I was quite apprehensive and somewhat pessimistic before arrival. I realized I was more nervous than I expected myself to be, but surprisingly, not nervous about meeting boy's family. I was nervous about boy. I made myself crazy with thoughts of what boy would think of my meeting his family. I tried on all of my clothes before leaving to get Camilla's (my little sister) required approval (then packed nearly everything I owned--just in case), I painted my toe nails three times (and naturally, ended up wearing socks the entire time), and I got advice from my brother Josh (who never shares his thoughts and feelings on this subject--ever) for several hours.

Upon arrival, I was so tired and worked up I felt really off emotionally. Thankfully we went right to bed when we finally got to his house at 2am.

We did all sorts of wonderful things throughout the week. In addition to Christmas at the zoo, the farm, and the Children's Museum, we also spent time at the Indianapolis Art Museum, window shopping around The Square (including the cutest cafe for lunch, the antique mall and a darling little ice cream parlor!), the entire first season of White Collar, learning to play poker, dinner theater, my first New Year's kiss, family visits, the local breakfast hotspot, the Barbie board game, dinner with his folks, football and basketball, a photo shoot, surviving an earthquake, cutting boy's hair, quiet moments together, and many, many more things.

My nerves about boy faded very quickly. I loved every moment I had with him. And not to get too mushy, but my feelings for him reached a depth I've never felt before.

As far as his family goes, they're wonderful. The first few days I noticed a lot of differences between my family and his, not a matter of "good or bad" but just differences. Then I started seeing similarities I hadn't expected to see. I loved both the differences and the similarities.

I can't report how things went from their side, although I think they'd have good things to say {at least I hope they would}.

I wish I could say everything was perfect, but sadly I have a regret. It's one of my weaknesses--a very prominent and difficult-to-overcome weakness. I shut down (or rather shut up) within situations I'm not entirely confident/comfortable. I've seen many people respond in similar fashions, so I know I'm not alone. I guess many compounding factors led to me not having much to say in most situations while there (i.e. I know nothing about sports, they already knew everything about me ((the one subject I in which thought I'd have the upper hand)), it was my first time meeting most of the people, etc.). But on the bright side, not saying as much as I'd have liked prevented me from saying something stupid.

Ultimately, his family was very nice, gracious and welcoming. My family missed me. And maybe with time his family will get to know me on a level that they will too.

Now on my reading list:

1 comment:

Katy said...

And now my giggling has reached even greater heights of girlish gleefulness!! Anna I am so glad everything went well and I am so happy for you!!!!!