3.11.2011

I'm So Much More Mature Today

In anticipation for moving into my new house with Robbie (YIPPY!), I've been picking through my piles of junk and "stuff." 

After hearing about the load of boxes with which I've already filled our kitchen-to-be, Robbie has carefully asked me to try and not "collect 'stuff.'" 

This is a weakness of mine. I am acknowledging this now. I do like "stuff," but I love the memories associated with things of my past. I'm tickled every time I pull out a random trinket from "that one time," or a poem I wrote so long ago. My hand hesitates over the garbage can. What to do?

We learn so much from our past. Have you ever looked back on your life a year, several years ago and thought, "I've grown up so much since then"? Well, I do this all the time. And I know my flippant feelings of being so much more mature now will only fade tomorrow when I look down my nose at the me of yesterday. 

Sometimes I think the things I worried and carried so much about were silly and insignificant. I suppose this is a signal that I'm growing up. I would be more concerned if I were interested in the same things now as my 15-year-old self. However, in my piles of papers I spent the evening sifting through, I found a half sheet of paper with the title "goals for 2008." Granted, it's only been three years, but I was quite taken aback to see that I had the exact same goals this year as I had three years ago. Many people don't believe in New Year's Resolutions, I know Robbie doesn't. And I almost didn't make any this year. But I'm glad I did. 

I love seeing progression in my life--sometimes harder to detect than the list of goals that has hung over my head for years. 

Speaking of growth, I've been picking through pics for a video Robbie and I are putting together for our reception. Here's my new favorite picture of Robbie. I'm obsessed.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh my goodness, Anna--I am exactly the same! I can't throw anything away. And that picture of Robbie looks exactly like him. Hahaha :)