11.09.2009

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

I've done a lot of self-reflecting recently, some of which has been negative and some positive. I often find reasons to evaluate my life, but this time, oddly enough, my motivation came from a fashion blog. I've read this blog for about three weeks now, and began putting down my supposed lack of fashion and culture. While walking on campus I looked down at my ratty shoes--five dollar black clogs from a thrift store--that had been torn out on the side for over a year now. The tape I had once colored black and used to hold the shoe together remained only in pieces on a part of the shoe's sole. And the staples that had also failed miserably to keep the shoe intact were also barely hanging on--something the shoe in its entirety managed every time I wore it. I began questioning my passionate preference of frugality over self gratification. But Julie's blog, along with several others, created such a desire to splurge, I took a plunge this weekend and spent about $60. Really, I bought five shirts and many necessary household items, so I was able to contain myself somewhat. But as I stood in the checkout line my stomach churned at the thought of the six dollar bottle of lotion I had in my hand. I knew there were several brands that were cheaper than this one. But it was the one I wanted, and I bought it. Deep inside of me it felt good to walk out of the store with a name brand item, but my shoulder angel warned me not to get used to the feeling. While an occasional splurge is nice, it's my frugality that allows me to plan on New York and Africa next year, and my frugality that allows me to have enough money to serve others while I myself struggle financially. So, while I do plan on keeping a tight pocket, I also plan on changing my image just a bit. Maybe I just will throw those shoes out. But then again, it never really was about the money--it's always been about me.

2 comments:

Rachy Rach said...

Plato's Closet? Kohl's on sale? There are ways to be cute and cheap. :) Not that you really need it. You have tons of cute clothes!

Stephanie said...

Oh Anna I love you! And I totally agree with Rachel. You already dress to impress. I wouldn't worry about how frugal you are with you're money. It's so good! A lot of people can't do that! And besides you always look good!..ps. Even target and old navy has some decent stuff every once in a while. =)