6.22.2010

Get Lost!

Thanks to my move (pictures of my new apartment to come shortly), I feel like I'm learning New York and the subway system all over again.

Yesterday I got lost on my way home. All I was trying to do was walk the few blocks from the station to my apartment. I didn't realize the road had split--I didn't realize for awhile--and I had absentmindedly chosen the wrong side.

This morning on my way to work, I got off the train and tried to orient myself so I could choose the correct of 14 exits from the station--each causing you to emerge in a different place all over the area. I picked one I thought would put me closest to my building and started walking. Again, all of a sudden I was no longer on my street. I tried two blocks left, doubled back and tried two blocks right. I was terribly lost, and no body around seemed to know where I needed to go either. After about 30 minutes of 1/2 mile circles all over the area (so much for getting in to work early), I finally found a doorman who pointed me in the right direction: "Turn around and walk a block and a half that way and you'll be standing right in front of it."
...Turn around? ugh.

Then on my way home a C train pulled up on the A track (now these trains go mostly in the same direction, but C makes every stop and A is an express that gets me home much faster). I stuck my head in and asked if the C was running express. No body seemed to know (again). So I got on--it was a local. dang! So I got off at the next stop. mistake! the express flies passed the next stop. So I got on the next train that happened to pull into the station. Why do I do this to myself? Eventually I got home, but it took me nearly twice as long.

Maybe I'll have everything figured out by the time I move again.

No comments: