7.25.2010

Road Trip with Dad Part 2

The graves of Emma's parents, sister, nieces, nephews, and son.

Headstone for her unnamed child.

Headstones for Emma's parents, Elizabeth and Isaac Hale.

Memorial marking for the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood.

I signed us in to the registry so we will always be in the book as having been there.

This is the place Emma and Joseph built their first home together.

Archeologists are still exploring the Hale property at this time, but they believe this to be the well for the Hale home.

This is the current focus of the archeological dig. They've found a lot of tools and other household items; however, they believe the items date after the time of Joseph. So they're still exploring the area for further information and findings.

Joseph hid the gold plates in this wooded area while working on their translation.

Here my dad explained this foundation for the milk house. There are several divides in the foundation because the milk would have been stored in one portion but would have required running cold water from a well to keep it cold, thus the other sections.

This is what's left of the ramp that went to the upper level of the storage house on the Hale property.

If you look closely you can see the pattern of horizontally running sticks. These have been uncovered as the remanence of the storage house. They believe the logs were either supports for the upper level of the house or part of the roof.

The wheel and axle and other parts of farming tools.

Ladder frozen in time by the passing of time itself--this tree grew right threw the steps.

Next we took off trekking for the Susquehanna River.

Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery were baptized in these waters.

According to my dad, the stripped bark on this tree indicates the height the water reaches here during flooding and spring run-off.

I couldn't help but get down and stick my fingers in the cool water.

We went off-roading!
(Good thing it was a rental car...)

Driving through minilakes won't hurt a car, right?

It wasn't only the car that got dirty...

Dad was ready in his slacks and tennis shoes to explore the wilderness.
I just tried to keep up!

On our drive back, I really felt a longing for the countryside; but instead we were already headed for the city.

Dream house.

My dad said these viaducts were historically significant.
Can't remember why though.

Umm... a lake and fountain in your front yard?
I want!

Then we officially left the land of green for the land of gray.

Good thing I have tickets to Wicked this week!!!
...I can say I still love this city!

But it was sure nice to surround myself in the beauty of God's creations for a weekend.

1 comment:

Me said...

I've been there! I wonder if you signed the same book we did..... though it was a few years ago so I'm guessing not. :)
Glad you enjoyed yourself m'dear!
xoxo