8.02.2010

Goodbye, New York!

My mom came and picked me up from New York!
...meaning, I'm back!

My mom and her friend flew in on red.
So, of course, they took quite a nap after I picked them up from the subway.

Then we went to the MET.
My mom was SO excited to see the actual paintings of some of her favorite artists for the first time.

Wouldn't it be bliss to spend your afternoons painting pictures of paintings in the MET?
I think so.

Yeah... taking pics of the naked status to text to their husbands...

More excitement!

We searched all over for Madame X. Somehow we happened across a storage room and wandered through just to LUCKILY find Madame X in STORAGE!

This amazing sampler was stitched by a 14 year old!
And not only that, but she was experimenting and developing new stitches.
I want to do this!!!

After our sophisticated afternoon checking out the MET, we decided to take some time in my neighborhood. And here's what Harlem had to offer.
Bath salts anyone?

As part of our Harlem experience (besides watching my mom get surrounded by about 10 men with bongo drums and dreadlocks), we rocked out at the Apollo Theater!

My mom spent most of her subway time looking for rats.
She said she had to see one to feel her New York experience was complete.

My mom's friend wanted to go to the American Girls Doll store.
I sat around for about an hour before I went exploring and found these...

Doll hooks in the bathroom!

Of course! How would every little girl in that building carrying their doll use the potty if there weren't doll hooks?!


Every accessory imaginable for every spoiled child there.

WE SAW WICKED ON BROADWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A. M. A. Z. I. N. G.

My mom liked listening to my neighbors fighting in a cool African language.
She just so happened to listen in the dark bathroom while hiding behind the shampoo...

We took a gypsy cab to the air port, and I got my last look at the city.

We flew stand-by and there was little chance of getting out of New York the first few days, let alone catching our next stand-by transfer flight to actually get home to Utah.

However, in spite of our plans to sleep at the air port for three days, blessings upon blessings upon blessings got us on the first available flight!

And on the next!
We ended up getting home by 3am New York time, but it was all in one day!

All of my sisters took turns putting in a letter for our "Welcome Home" sign. However, someone apparently missed their turn in putting in the "e." And Grace said they got tired by the time they got to the coloring, so only the first letter got coloring.

But I'm home.

Back in Utah.

Things I've noticed in the few days I've been back:

-There are so many white people here.
-The sky is so big.
-It's really quiet at night.
-We can't "just walk"--anywhere.
-You don't have to wake up sweaty from the humidity.
-I had forgotten what stars look like.
-I lost 6 lbs. over the summer.
-I still hate Utah mosquitos.


Ready for adventure the next!

1 comment:

Rachy Rach said...

Underneath the picture of the 14-year-old's stitchwork, you wrote, "I want to do this!" And then I saw the picture underneath it. I think it was a Freudian slip. ;) Hahahaha! J/k.