11.16.2010

What Do Babies Know?

As a child, I don't believe we understand the existence of time before our birth. We only understand the creation of life with beginning at our own creation.

I pondered this the other day when I realized I'm taking my mother's position--the position I've perceived her as having my entire life--and she my grandmother's, and my grandmother passing on.

I heard all growing up that "parents know better than children" because "they've been there." I though I understood, "mom was once a child;" but in reality, I don't think young brains are capable of understanding the "before our time" concept.

It makes me wonder what I think I'm capable of understanding now, but am truly not.

It also makes me wonder what babies DO know that I am also incapable of understanding.

No comments: