5.27.2010

Award Winning

This week I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting with two highly achieved women in my industry.

We sat. We ate. And we talked.
Allison Argo is the founder of Argo Films--a six-time Emmy award-winning film company. As a documentarian, she has produced, written, edited, and narrated over a dozen highly-recognized films. She works hand-in-hand with PBS and National Geographic in creating her documentaries.

Kimber Holt Crandall finished her college education in broadcasting in less than two years. By the age of 19 she worked as an anchor in Idaho--this was after working for stations in New York, Washington D.C., and Park City. She is a two-time Emmy award winner for her work as a reporter, and she currently works for News 12, a cable news network in New York. By the way, she's not yet 25-years-old.

Both spoke of their histories, their careers, and their advice. And they showed me their work.

It's been a very interesting week for me as I have looked to what my future holds and the goals I hope to achieve.

Yet, in spite of my internal freaking out right now that I don't know what's going on with my life, I did figure out one thing: in spite of the accolades, I do not envy these women.

Allison has no family and Kimber has no life.

Several of my peers visited Kimber with me. The other girls left Kimber's apartment with a feeling of renewed hope and strength for their futures. They discussed how if Kimber can be home for only six hours a day and see her husband for only one, then they can do it too. They continued with a comparison of how little they saw their fathers while growing up, and how it didn't really make that much of a differences, and it can obviously be done.

I can't do that.

I want a future of happiness.

Am I in the wrong career?...

2 comments:

Katy said...

Oh no! I was thinking that that second woman reminded me of you (maybe it was ust the age and hair color) but I don't want you to have a sad lonely life!! UNLESS instead of a real life you just rent an apartment with me and then we can both be lonely career women together, except that my career will involve making the house filthy with bits of wool and glue and fabric and paper and your 6 hours a day there will be spent cleaning it all up! This...this is sounding like a really great plan.

Merkley Jiating said...

I think you can still do that job and be happy without having it be your life. Just have it as a job. You can love your job without being IN LOVE with it.

Very interesting thoughts you came out with after meeting them. I agree with your perspective though. A life like that leaves no room for families. And if your mom mailing contact solution to you across the country tells me anything, it tells me that family is important to you.