5.23.2010

Transvestite Recommended

We decided to take the epic trip to Liberty and Ellis Islands this weekend.

Walking into Battery Park was like a breath of fresh air from the grimy city (fresh off the dirty Hudson, mind you).

We waited in the hour line to get tickets.

And then...we saw this.........



Do you see the density of that line right there? Picture that--wrapping all the way around Battery Park. Because that's what we saw too. There was about a five hour wait for those with tickets before they could get on the ferry.


So we did this instead! Free Staten Island ferry, here we come!

On the way to the island.

We travelled across seas on "The Spirit of America"!

You should have seen his hair when we got off...


When we got on the island we really didn't even know what was available, so we decided to ask some missionaries we saw! They told us to go to the Staten Island Museum.

So we did--for only a $1!



A hundred year old pickled frog! They had all sorts of animals and fish stuffed and in bottles. SO wouldn't be ethical today, but super creepy to see hundred year old mice floating in jars.

Caption reads: "Tusk from wild boar which I shot in Louisiana swamps, but not until he had killed my dog."

The captions on all of the artwork were hilarious!

Ben.

Jade.

Ben said: "This room rocks!"


After the museum we decided to find some lunch. I stuck my head in a little grocery store and made the comment, "I wonder if prices are cheaper here." The kind transvestite sitting on the ground smoking a cigar next to us decided to help us out.
"There ain't nothing in there. What are you looking for?"
"Oh, we're just trying to find some lunch."
"You guys better be careful--this neighborhood is real sketch after 9pm when you're alone."
(Ironically we had just been talking about how nice and safe this area felt compared to the city.)
"Oh? Thanks for the advice."
"Yeah. I got raped once. And that corner over there is where I almost got murdered."
"We'll try to be careful."
"Do you see the bars on these windows, they really lock up at night. But if you're looking for a place to eat, you should eat over in that deli there. It's probably the best place around. But be careful--that's where the mafia eat."

So, we had lunch where the mafia eat, because it came transvestite recommended.
And it was very good.


The whole city.

9/11 memorial for Staten Islanders that died.

A kiss mark left on the memorial of this fireman.
Very sad.

"I can see it!"

Lady Lib.

3 comments:

Me said...

I see what you mean about the frog..... :)

Merkley Jiating said...

I am not sure how my mom did it, but she bought tickets ahead of time (I think from statuecruises.com). We saw that line too but we only had to wait in an express line for about ten minutes and then we got on the ferry.

Katy said...

That is AWESOME. Anna, your life makes me so jealous right now, I do not know what I will do!!