5.07.2010

National Geographic Television


Coworkers.

The view from our office.


I've finished nearly two weeks on the job at Nat Geo. I'm doing a bunch of grunt work (to be expected for a new intern), but I think it's great!

I'm working on two series:
Border Wars: A series about Customs and Border Protection's dealings with illegal immigrants and narcotics along the U.S. border.


Lockdown: A series that takes you inside the walls of prisons and inside the minds of prisoners across the nation.

This past week I've spent most of my time transcribing interviews for the next episode of this series. The inmates are really rough on the outside: tattoos, battle scars, and bulging muscles. However, after typing up their life stories for hours and hours, I can't help but sympathize with them.

After nearly 45 hours of transcribing, I've concluded that there are 2 things that drive people to crime:
1. Pride/Image.
2. Lack of family stability/love.

It's really sad, but everyone has their agency I suppose.

Other things: we get free bagels and fruit at work every day!



Lunch hour:

So, for lunch one day we went to this Thai restaurant. The menu didn't have any prices, so you basically had to point at a few random things and hope for the best. Let's just say I wasn't very lucky. I got this weird green rice thing. I didn't eat any of it.
The only thing that really made the outing worth it was the restaurant bath room. This is a picture of the outside of the bathroom (with mine and my coworker Anna's reflections). The bathroom is made of one-way mirrors! From inside the bathroom you can see everyone eating around you! ...super trippy.

No comments: